This priority will build on the existing Parish initiatives supporting local Homelessness charities and hostels. Where possible, diocesan financial support from restricted funds for such activities will be used to add value.
Both parishes and statutory agencies recognise that initial assessment of rough sleepers may be very negative focusing on their difficulties and challenges rather than their skills and interests. Community support can play a vital role restoring hobbies and interests and engaging them in community life.
- To build on the existing support aiming to have a Food Bank collection, or similar, in every parish.
- To report on the feasibility of re-purposing unused presbyteries and religious buildings as ‘Move On’ properties.
- To create a culture in parishes of awareness and outreach to people with a background of homelessness.
- To work for the alleviation of homeless refugees and migrants in our communities.
- Help parishes work with homelessness charities to broker positive activities.
- Encourage parishes who don’t already have a Food Bank collection, or similar, to start one.
- Encourage parishes to consider support for outreach to those who are homeless of vulnerably housed
- Explore using empty diocesan properties for alleviation of homelessness.