Welcome to the Plymouth Diocese website.
Plymouth Diocese is in the West Country and consists of the counties of Cornwall (with the Isles of Scilly), Devon and Dorset (west of the original county boundary, thus including two parishes in Bournemouth).
The Diocese of Plymouth was established on 29th September 1850. Bishop Joseph Hendren acted temporarily as Administrator until the appointment on June 16th 1851 of George Errington as the First Bishop of Plymouth.
Originally Plymouth was one of the dioceses in the Province of Westminster the only Province in the country. In 1911 it became a part of the Province of Birmingham. Finally in 1965 we became part of the Province of Southwark.